Veterinary Medicine is a comprehensive textbook of the diseases of cattle, horses, sheep, pigs and goats that addresses the needs of both students and large/mixed animal veterinary practitioners. It has come to be extensively used as a reference by veterinarians around the world: it has attained international relevance, recognition and acceptance with several translations.
For the new 11th edition Ken Hinchcliff and Peter Constable are joined as editors by Professor Stanley Done, a distinguished authority on the diseases of pigs, and by (a fourth European editor tbc), giving an editorial team of international scope and expertise.
The new edition has been reorganized into two volumes for ease of use and offers many new features and topics. The text has been reviewed in its entirety and edited for concision while retaining the same level of detail and scope of coverage, and the references have been comprehensively updated since the previous edition.
With this revised edition of Veterinary Medicine a companion App is also offered, which presents in handy mobile format differential diagnoses, synopses of key points from the book, and tips and practical hints on therapeutics. When used in conjunction, the Veterinary Medicine book and App make an unbeatable reference that combines all the benefits of comprehensiveness with the convenience of portability.
New to this edition
- NEW! Convenient, easy-access format is organized by organ systems, and divides the content into two compact volumes with the same authoritative coverage.
- Nearly 200 new color photographs and line drawings are included in this edition.
- NEW full-color design improves navigation, clarifies subject headings, and includes more boxes, tables, and charts for faster reference.
- New Diseases Primarily Affecting the Reproductive System chapter is added.
- Updated and expanded chapter on pharmacotherapy lists therapeutic interventions and offers treatment boxes and principles of antibiotic use.
- Expanded sections on herd health include biosecurity and infection control, and valuable Strength of Evidence boxes.
- NEW or extensively revised sections include topics such as the Schmallenberg and Bluetongue viral epidemics of ruminants in Europe, Wesselbron disease in cattle, hypokalemia in adult cattle, equine multinodular pulmonary fibrosis, Hendra virus infection, porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome, torque teno virus, and numerous recently identified congenital and inherited disorders of large animals.
- Additional content is provided on lameness in cattle and the diseases of cervids.
By Peter D. Constable, BVSc, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVIM, Professor & Head, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA; Kenneth W Hinchcliff, BVSc, MS, PhD, DACVIM (Large Animal), Professor and Dean of Veterinary Science The University of Melbourne ; Stanley H. Done, BA, BVetMed, PhD, DECPHM, DECVP, FRCVS, FRCPath, Visiting Professor of Veterinary Pathology, University of Galsgow Veterinary School; Former Lecturer in Veterinary Anatomy, Royal Veterinary College, London and Walter Gruenberg